Tuesday, July 21

It’s different for them…right?

As I make new friends and get to know people better, I seem to be blinded by the realities of life in Haiti. Let me explain. The few close friends that I have made here seem different to me. By different I mean because I’ve had normal conversations with them I for some reason conclude that they are just like me, or another North American. I am continually reminded that this isn’t the case. Even my friends, are well, Haitien. Most of them don’t have jobs. Most of them don’t have money. They have mothers who work at the market in Limbe, hoping to sell just one article of clothing that day. They don’t always have food or money to pay for their tuition. I’m not sure if the hope that I have that they are different is me just being foolish, not wanting to face reality, protecting myself, lightening the situation, etc. etc. etc. I think it’s a lot of things but it’s not doing good for anyone. The situation here in Haiti is, well, I can’t find a good word for it. Extreme? Desperate? Severe? Dire? Infinite? Overwhelming? I don’t want to keep these blinders on but it seems that’s been the pattern. And so, as I finish these last 4 weeks here, would you pray with me that I would see the harsh realities of life here in Haiti? I saw a lot of this the first couple weeks and what a ride that was. It’s tough, and in many ways I don’t want to walk through it, but I am here and this is what I came for. To learn and experience the realities of Haitien life.

Update: Roselande has returned to Manno’s house after 1 week of being home. Her progress deteriorated drastically and is not doing well. She isn’t eating nearly as much as she was when she was here before and is refusing to give herself her insulin. Pray for her health, both physically and mentally. I don’t see the fight and light I saw in her when she was here before, she’s back to the girl I met when we picked her up in the jungle – no desire to live and no fight for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment