Monday, June 8

Update from Haiti

Today we went to the beach. It was the same beach we went to while I was here before, but this time we went to the “Haitian beach”. This one is right beside the “compound” that we went to previously but doesn’t cost anything to enter – in fact you don’t really enter anything. There were a few other girls that came as well and so we followed along with them for the morning/afternoon. It was so nice to have someone to follow to know how to act and be. Apparently you don’t just take off your skirt and tank top on the beach if you have your bathing suit underneath. THAT would be inappropriate…! You don’t lay your towel out and listen to music and read. You change in the little huts there and everyone kind of swims in a little pack or herd. Swimming and interacting with each other – (space issues anyone…?) Anyways, us 5 girls change and come out and I’m suddenly feeling extremely white. I look out at the people swimming and picture myself in the water with them – you’d spot me from miles away, literally. I suddenly want to retreat back into my own skin and disappear. This feeling faded fairly quickly as we made our way into the water and I became more comfortable with the girls. We ate fish, plantain, and conch for lunch and walked along the beach together. We came with our guy friends as well but didn’t hang out with them at all – in fact we didn’t really see them until it was time to go. It was a good few hours swimming, eating, laughing and relaxing. Yes, I’m white – but that’s okay. The girls reminded me that I should be proud of who I am. And I am. Sometimes I just wish I could fit in. I’m not so sure that’s going to happen.

Of course the children were waiting for us as we returned but I just wanted to be quiet and not be with so many people. It seems this house is the community hang out place and just when you think it’s time for bed and you’re all set to go, more people drop by. But this afternoon, the rain came down hard and it was quite refreshing. A rest from yelling kids. From children waiting at your door. A rest from studying Creole. A rest from unexpected visitors. A retreat from a very overwhelming and challenging week of adjusting.

I miss home quite a bit these days. I miss my friends. Community. Church. Job. Freedom. Comforts. English! It’s all very selfish and I in no way wish to return – but I feel like I’m mourning the loss of a really great summer in Winnipeg. These new experiences are so exciting and fun yet I just miss what I know, what’s comfortable. When I will leave and when I will return. When I will eat and what it will be. Who will come over and when. How and when I will do my laundry and get clean towels. I think living here will be a good test of my hospitality. Am I willing to host people even when I’m tired? When I’m in my pajamas and ready for bed? When it’s early in the morning and I want to read my bible? I’ve never been really gifted at being hospitable, but this sure will help I think. I ask for prayer for patience and strength to deal with the children here who are oh so excited to see us. Even as I try to blend in with the other 4 Haitian ladies on the beach, the children still come and sit in the sand among us.

This week I will visit my patient again to work on her exercises. I will also try to get this database up and running. Things move so slowly here (myself included) it’s really quite the adjustment. Pray that I will find a way to be productive and efficient again like I know I’m able! Who is this person here in Haiti and where did I get left?

The money raised thus far will be sent this week and I’m hoping the electrical will begin by the end of June, although it may be pushed back to July as there is a group coming to provide care for those with eye problems and they will be operating in the new hospital building (without electricity of course!). I hope also to see the generator that was purchased back in December arrive this week. Pictures will be sure to come of that – me hugging and kissing that thing I’m sure!

Goodbye from the very white girl.

Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and excited to hear the updates. Looks like you actually are using your camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mourn the summer here yet as it was only 2 degrees the other morning! I think summer is skipping us this year.
    We miss you too! The house is soooo quiet and it's weird not having to share the car with anyone! MISS YOU!
    Will has offered his services re: data base for you. He is a pro so contact him for advice if you need.
    LOVE Mom

    ReplyDelete