Friday, June 5

Pictures!







Hey friends.
I'm here in Haiti and it's hot hot hot! I've been enjoying my first week in Haiti thus far. It's been challenging and fun! I'm picking up the language pretty well but I do feel frustrated a lot. I have been helping with a patient to do exercises every day. I go to her house (about 15 minutes from where we live) and we work for an hour. Today we saw progress! Her right arm and leg don't work very well at all. Her fingers are locked in a fist position and today when I came they were relaxed and flexible! I have no idea what I'm doing as a physiotherapist but I am trying! I think it's just important that I am spending time with her and showing her that I care and that she should care as well. She was tired and sore today so we took it easy. A couple other people came and showed me their sore and swollen feet and asked for help - I just told them I am NOT a doctor and that I only have exercises for Boni (that's the patients name). So...it's been exciting! I road on a motorcycle for the first time. He was extremely slow I think I could have ran faster than him. Speaking of running, I have been up at 5:00 or 5:30am every morning, trying to beat the sun for a nice run around the University soccer field. Tomorrow I will attempt to run on the road to the nearby town. I look forward to that. It's been good to form relationships here with people in the community. I love telling them that I will see them later, for another 9 weeks anyways. People are very happy to see me back and it's been awesome to have real conversations with them. Lots happens at this clinic. Things I had no idea of. There is a clinic in a couple weeks for people that have eye problems, a food program, water treatment program, a program for malnutrition etc etc etc. They are very busy here, yet it seems people stop working at about 1pm. Haha. That's been hard to adjust to but we are studying Creole in the afternoon (me and the other girl from Alberta that is here for 3 weeks).
Sorry this is so random but I only have a few minutes and can't edit! I hope to do a better job of being in contact, yet I want to take advantage of every moment that I'm here. This truly is a gift being here. I can see how things take so long to get completed though as I keep saying I'll get to it tomorrow. Even the smallest of things. So yeah, thanks for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment