Friday, June 12

A small emergency...

I've been running most mornings at the University soccer field and usually have quite the audience. I don't mind though as the kids usually give me a high five as I make another lap - that's enough to keep me going. But...Wednesday I decided to step out and run to Limbe (about 3 kms away). My friend Alin came along as my "bodyguard" and all was well most of the way there. Every time a truck or car would pass by you'd have to jump off the road which kept things exciting. We nearly made it and I suddenly felt very very sick. We walked for a short while and eventually I swallowed my pride and said I needed to find a bathroom. Well, there's really NOTHING near there. We were approaching the river but I thought that would be a little bit of a scene. We walked a little ways and he said he had a friend that lived just up the road. How embarassing - bringing some crazy white girl to use the washroom. I said I'd rather go in the bush and that is exactly what I did! I was really hoping there was no poison ivy or something of the like. A fairly hilarious story now but not so much then. That's my sickness story # 1. I stayed close to home the rest of the day as I didn't want to get caught again.

It's been overcast and raining here almost a full week now. I must admit I can't wait until it's scorching hot again - this is just getting depressing. I've been driving a little bit more but haven't yet ventured out on my own - havn't needed to quite yet. We've been hanging out with the kids quite a bit and they are loving the extra attention. They are wanting to learn English and so we've been helping each other.

No new proposals yet but lastnight I spent some time hiding in the kitchen with the ladies. It's beginning to feel a little more like home here. Only 8 more weeks left and I can't even remember where the first 2 weeks went! So much happens in one day and yet the weeks just fly by.

We are hoping to get the money transferred over to this week or next so we can start on the electrical. I would estimate that it will begin at the end of the month - although that may be postponed a little bit as there are a couple groups coming next week to help train the lab technicians. I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment