Monday, May 3

So about blogging...and life

I guess I'm somewhat bad at this keeping the blog updated thing. The truth is, I've been struggling with knowing how much to post and how much to keep private, and so I just haven't written anything. I want my struggles and joys to be shared, but it's hard to know that they'll be understood in the context properlly. Sorry about the lack of updating!

I'm here in Puerta Plata for 1 week on vacation with Janelle. We were given this as a gift and what a blessing it has been. The suspected culture shock is of course different than expected. When first arriving in the DR I realized how normal this life here is. How normal shopping is, eating at restaurants, taking a taxi or going somehwere when you want, walking at night, eating frozen yogurt, swimming in a pool, all of that. I miss this kind of life. Where things are easy. There's electricity, toilets that work, running water, internet, nicely constructed buildings, things to do and see. This world just seems normal to me. I understand it (although I don't understand the language). Life in Haiti is much different. My days repeat themselves, going 1 of 3 places repetitively. Sometimes we get out in the evening which is a nice change of scenary. That's been harder on me then I thought. I miss having a vehicle. Miss going to walk around a mall. Going for runs in different parks. Sitting in coffee shops. Going to school or work. All of those things.

I hadn't realized how hard things were back home in Haiti. Each day passes by and you make do. You find a way to stay busy and happy. You see that life is so much worse for others, which gives perspective. You see life in it's simplest and rawest forms most days. I love the people in Haiti. I love the people that I work with at the Clinic. The kids are amazing. The patients are resilient. The faith of all Haitians is so admirable and miraculous. There's so many difficulties about living in Haiti, and yet so many blessings. What a different life they live.

I've scheduled a visit home for the summer. I hope to return this fall to continue working and serving. I'm not sure in what capacity but hope to figure that out in the next few weeks. My job at the clinic officially finishes at the end of July and my plane arrives in Winnipeg on August 6th. I look forward to seeing friends and family again. Many of those I never got a chance to say goodbye to.

So while Janelle and I are here on vacation, we are enjoying the sun, laying on air matresses in the pool, wireless internet, television, a jacuzzi tub, amazing food, and I'm enjoying the "easiness" of life. Somehow, things just work and how refreshing it is. (We both commented on how nice it is to flush the toilet and have it work EVERY time! That's just one example...)

Here's a picture of us before going out to our supper off-site on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment