Saturday, May 22

Hold my place in line please!

The banks here in Haiti are very similar to banks at home. They look about the same. The tellers sit behind a desk. There's a guard at the front. A ribbon to help direct the line. One difference though that I love every time I go is that if you need to step out of the line for a moment (to answer your cell phone, to talk to someone, to get another deposit slip, etc), you may enter the line at the same place when you return. Every time I go to Unibank there are about 30 people in the line and it usually takes about an hour to get through.

Well, a couple of Saturdays ago we arrived at Unibank about 1 hour before closing time. After standing in line for about 15 minutes with my friend Ben, I realized that my bank (Fonkoze) might close earlier then Unibank. So, we decided to leave and catch another motorcycle to Fonkoze. We finished there, caught our 3rd motorcycle back to Unibank, and Ben walks right into the same place in line as when he left! This is about 30-45 minutes later. We return and yup, he just takes the same place in line. I was shocked! And yet not one person flinched. Can you imagine that in Canada? I mean, we don't usually have 1 hour line ups for things, especially at a bank, but if we did? Sheesh. People freak out if you "cut" them or "budge". I'd love to see that. Life here continues to amaze me.


Things to do at night cont'd:
26. Measure your height on the wall. Apparently I've grown and am now 5 feet tall!
27. Scratch your mosquito bites
28. Sing old songs (7 Club Seven, Spice Girls, Salt N' Pepa)

1 comment:

  1. That would be unheard of here! A person could get beat up jumping back into line! I think possibly that Canadians mights not be as nice as what we think we are????

    ReplyDelete