Thursday, May 20

I is sweaty

I would like to write an entry today about how human beings adapt. Both as Haitians adapt to life here and as I adapt to life here. But rather, I am hot, sweaty, and have little patience left, so I plan to only share a few random thoughts.

I can't really speak English anymore. Anyone who's been here has learned this quickly (hence title). I can't really speak Creole well either, enough to get by and understand and say what I need. I also can't seem to think properlly. Charcoal is kind of like fire right...? Ugh.

Waiting here in Haiti is a common, everyday, occurrence. My time at the Clinic in this role is completed at the end of July. To me that's not much time to make sure that the 2 accountants know what they need to know. I can't teach them when they are not there. Sometimes I wait hours for them to show up. ("I'll be back in 30-40 minutes turns out to be 4 hours). Sigh. I also feel like I'm repeating myself, repeatedly! This would be why my patience is on the low end right now. Thank goodness for laughter though. Where would I be without laughing with friends.

I take frequent withdrawals from the patience bank. There are little "shacks" or buildings here in Haiti that are called the patience bank (it's not a bank but some kind of lottery, not really sure exactly how it works though or when because I don't see people in them often). I don't often make deposits in my own patience bank account but I know that back home many are doing this for me (thanks for all the prayers and deposits!!!)

It's getting hot around here. I dread the days of constant sweat and smells you never knew were possible to come from your body. Any week now. It's been cloudy the last week and a half but it's still hot. I is sweaty and I is smelly.

We have a big/important committee meeting tomorrow evening. A lot of financial matters and procedures to discuss. All prayers would be appreciated.

And m'ap tann. Chak jou, m'ap tann
(I am waiting. Every day, I am waiting)

1 comment:

  1. M'ap tann ou. Can't wait to see you in August and thinking of you during these summer days. May you find momentary relief in those surprisingly refreshing bucket showers. Just don't forget to reserve a bucket of water.

    ReplyDelete