Wednesday, February 10

Life here

Sorry I haven't updated much. It seems I have a lack of inspiration for blogging these days. Life here just seems normal. As normal as it can be. Just as it was in the summer, but actually a lot better. It's great to have a friend here and to be busy with new work. The community seems the same aside from more people sitting around. Most kids went back to school this week. University should be starting up next week. The clinic has less busy days. So yes, things are somewhat "normal" in Haut Limbe, whatever that means.

We have hired 1 or 2 new people (I haven't really figured that out exactly yet) but so far it's been great. I had last week to get a sense of where we are at financially and on Monday one of the guys started and we've made a lot of progress. I will need a lot of patience here though. I love computers and the way they make things so much easier (excel calculating sums for you), and yet everyone wants to do everything by hand, the old and ancient ways. You know how long it takes to enter all the patient medication totals by hand!? So, things just take longer. And everyone is okay with that. They have the rest of their lives to finish the work...I however, would like to move on to a new task much before they've finished calculating. Sigh. There are good times and things to adjust here, and there are others that just need to stay the same. I do not want to be a person that comes in here and thinks that little me knows the best way, at the same time I want to offer new ways that they may like and benefit from in the long run. Oh the balance.

It's great to be in a role where I can teach people and offer advice as needed. We are basically starting from nothing as the old accountants computer is not available for us. Should be quite interesting.

Friends arrive here on Friday and after that we will have visitors for a good 2-3 months. For now we are enjoying our free time and not stressing about ensuring our visiting friends are safe and happy! It will be so good to have familiar faces here though. Looking forward to this weekend.

I bought a cell phone last week so if you want to call me or text me sometimes let me know! :)

1 comment:

  1. hey shauna,how are things going?just got your blog addresead a little about s from uma.wasnt sure if she gave the right address or not to rob , but sure enough she did.just wanted to say hi and read a little bit of what you are and will be doing there in Haiti. from what we have seen on tv the devistation there from the earthquake seems quite horrorific.hope all is well with you .take care shauna.

    chrissy and rob

    ReplyDelete