Monday, March 8

Enough for Today

While driving into Cap Haitien for supper with friends on Friday I was watching as everyone was finishing their days and making their ways home. Along the road in the city there were the ladies sitting, selling their goods. I noticed one lady with her few things to sell and saw a large can of tomato paste, containing maybe 4 litres, the tin lid still partly attached to protect from bugs and dust from day to day. Another women came by to buy some and she was given 3 little scrapes (about 3 teaspoons) of paste on a small piece of paper. This was sold for 5 Gourdes (approximately 8 cents). This woman buying the paste purchases only what she needs for today. As I saw this I thought of the fridges full of food all over the world and thought of my friends, neighbours, my community, and this country, and all those who don’t eat for a few days at a time. I know when my next meal with be, so many do not. May we all recognize that we only need enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment