Sunday, June 13

Container of Corn

I found myself feeling frustrated last week and going off on a little rant with some friends (and 2 visiting missionaries from outside Port au Prince). Here’s why.
There is another mission in LimbĂ© that receives a container full of corn on a regular basis. The mission grinds it and gives it away. At first glance, I think, “yes, this is a wonderful idea. Someone has corn in the USA to donate, and the people here are being fed. Nice”. Then I start to think a little further, about the shipping cost of that container. I know when we shipped the container full of hospital supplies that it cost quite a bit (although we did get a good deal, now looking back). Whatever, that’s not important. Let’s just realize that it costs money to ship things down to Haiti. That being said, this “free” donation also takes away from the local farmers here, trying to grow and sell corn. So, as I think about these lovely people who have this extra corn in the States who are trying to make a difference (getting a tax receipt?), I can’t help but think about these local farmers. I mean, I’m glad that we can support the shipping companies. I’m glad we can support the economy in the States. But it seems like we are only kind of helping. Like there could be a better way. There always seems to be a better way around here and yet it seems we can’t quite attain it. What if these people donated the money that they spend on shipping the container to the mission, the mission went out and bought corn from the local market, then ground it, and gave it out for free. My guess is, you’d have a lot more corn to give away and you’d help 2 parties locally instead of 1 locally and 1 in the USA. I know it doesn’t feel as good to give money, it feels much better to pack a container full of corn, deliver it to the shipping yard and send it on its merry way, but there just seems to be a better way. And yet you don’t want to turn away the donation either right? I mean at least we are helping in some way. And as a local person on the ground, you try so hard to keep donors and organizations happy. Sometimes I feel though, that what’s important is thinking about what’s best for those living here, every single day. Who’s children will grow old here. Who will take over the family farm. Generations and generations.

As I live and work here I recognize that what I do is not always the best way. That I’ve made mistakes, I’ve been short-tempered and jumped to conclusions. I’ve been impatient and very “American” in so many ways. But this example above just eats away at me. It’s the same with the rice problem a few years ago – when the USA decided to donate free rice to Haiti so long as the taxes were lifted on imports/exports (I’m not sure exactly of all the details regarding the tariffs but I know that the free rice from the USA put a lot of local farmers out of business and that the USA rice is cheaper here then the locally grown rice. Boo!). Good intentions of helping. Maybe there’s a better way?

Anyways, I wish there was an easy answer. There isn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment