Friday, May 14

Learning the "language"

"M'ap vini" mean I am coming, or I am coming back. You'd think that means in the near future, maybe withing the hour, but really it could mean tomorrow, or maybe in weeks to come. Maybe you'll never see them again!

30-40 minutes might mean 4 hours. When I say might, I mean, it did yesterday.

"I am coming in some minutes" can mean whatever they want it to. This one makes me laugh every time I think about it. I don't think that would fly anywhere else. "I'll be there in some minutes..."

(after making a trip to Cap Haitian, the information was), "I am on the road." This means exactly what it says. Somewhere on the road. Not necessarily on the road BACK to the Clinic and not necessarily close. It means literally, I'm on the road. That was the phone call I received yesterday to inform me of their expected time back. 1.5 hours later the truck drove by...

Haitian friend says: "I don't want to tell you a time that I'm coming back because then it could be a lie" (if they are late you see).
Canadian friend says: "Well just make a good estimate as to when you think you'll come back and try to get back by then. Try REALLY hard..." (patience a little thin at this point).
Haitian friend says: "Okay, maybe 7:30pm."
Canadian friend says: "Great, I will see you then."
8pm rolls around and I see above Haitian friend at the corner NOT with my above Canadian friend who's at our house waiting.
So I ask: "What are you doing here!!!?"
He replies: "Oh, I'm sorry. That's why I didn't want to tell her a time. Tell her I'm coming in 15 minutes..."
I reply: "Don't say sorry to me. Get your butt up there! ;)"

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha ha. Sigh. "I don't want to lie?" Seriously?? I'm sorry. And am making a deposit in the patience bank for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete